The Troy Street Observer

June 26-29, 1981 at Kix: We Want Miles!

There are comebacks, and then there are comebacks. Thirty-four years ago, in June 1981, Miles Davis staged a memorable comeback performance in Boston that ended five years of self-imposed silence. The four-night barrage stood the jazz world on its ear, and although the music was formidable, what made it all so head-turning was that it was such an event.

We Want Miles! Miles Davis 1981
We Want Miles, Columbia LP C2 38005; Miles Davis, 1981, photo by Paul Natkin


Miles had been out of the public eye for five years, enduring physical maladies and having little desire to play. But he was ready to go again in 1981, and his group had just recorded a new album, The Man With the Horn, and he was going to play at the Kool Jazz Festival in New York in early July. But Davis wanted a tune-up first, and he wanted to do it in a club. So Davis contacted Fred Taylor, for whom he had worked more than ten times at the Jazz Workshop or Paul’s Mall between 1967 and 1977. Simply put, Miles Davis trusted Taylor.

Although Taylor was out of the nightclub business—he was running the Harvard Square Theater at the time—he knew of a 400-seat club that might work for Davis, on the edge of Kenmore Square, called Kix. It was a disco in a converted garage that formerly housed a rock venue called the Psychedelic Supermarket. Taylor booked it for four nights in June, the 26th through the 29th.

Taylor hired Sue Auclair to manage the publicity, and news of the upcoming shows was made public in mid June… Miles Davis in Boston for four nights… two shows per night… ticket price $12.50. The news created a tidal wave of interest, and media people from as far away as Japan turned up in Boston for the opening. Meanwhile, Auclair recruited Boston mayor Kevin White to issue a proclamation declaring the four days in June to be Miles Davis Weekend.

On opening night, Miles drove to the club in his yellow Ferrari, accompanied by his wife-to-be, actress Cicely Tyson. There was Miles, now with a mustache and beard, stylish as always in a black jump suit… and the place went crazy, with chants of “We want Miles!”

Inside, Kix was electric with anticipation, and Miles stepped on stage to a sustained standing ovation. These were the first public performances for this new band, some of whom were virtual unknowns. With Miles were Bill Evans, soprano saxophone; Marcus Miller, electric bass; Mike Stern, electric guitar; Al Foster, drums; and Mino Cinelu, percussion. Miles chose to work without a keyboardist this time around.

The Boston Globe review the next day was unabashedly positive. “Last night Miles Davis gave solid evidence that he was back to stay, that the chops are still as impressive as ever and the famed mystique has not dimmed an iota… Davis alternated brooding, elongated lines with brief, swinging interludes. Evans, on soprano, was superb and the group interplay seemed contagious, taking its lead from Davis who, despite five years of inactivity, was playing with seasoned assuredness as he continually inserted pauses like a nervous suitor.”

Mike Stern was the sideman best known to Boston. He studied at Berklee and worked around town in the mid-1970s; he was a regular at Michael’s Jazz Club, and a member of Tiger Okoshi’s group, Tiger’s Baku. Stern told writer George Cole for his book, The Last Miles: “Kix was perfect and the audience was just ready to enjoy it and they did! It was the kind of band where we got off on the energy of it.”

It was Boston’s good fortune that Miles Davis played his comeback engagement here. A lengthy interview by Ernie Santosuosso was published in the Globe on July 5. Santuosso asked why Davis chose Boston. Said Davis, “’Cause I love Boston. I just happen to have a thing with Boston. Every time I have a new band and a good band, I just come to Boston. Also, I wouldn’t do it for anybody else but Freddie Taylor. I like Boston people. It isn’t a question of how many jazz clubs you have here. It’s the attitude of the students. The students are thinking, you know what I mean? They are not afraid to look beyond today’s music or anything else.”

The double album We Want Miles includes music recorded at Kix and in Japan in October 1981. “Back Seat Betty” was one of the tunes played at Kix, and here is a version of it recorded in London in 1982 with the same band.

Another tune played at Kix was a reworking of “My Man’s Gone Now,” which Miles Davis first recorded with Gil Evans on the Porgy and Bess album. Here it is, played in London.



  1. I was the owner of Kix at the time of Miles performed.
    It was outrageous!! The place was packed. Shortly after Boston University bought the building and my lease not renewed. The good ole days.

  2. I was at Miles’ Central Park show in September 1975, his last public appearance before the five year hiatus. Are you aware of any reviews of this show? I would love to compare them to my recollection of this event. The story I have been telling for years is that Miles barely played at all, just doodled a few notes into the floor at the back of the stage and then walked off. Even the guys in the band didn’t know what was happening and, when it became apparent that Miles wasn’t coming back, they too left the stage one by one — except the drummer who saw his moment and seized it! I have never been big on extended drum solos and I suspect a lot of others feel the same but under the circumstances this drummer (who???) played to a very appreciative audience and left to a standing ovation! The whole set only lasted maybe 20 minutes. At least that is the way I remember it. II would be curious to see if any published reviews bear out that this happened more or less as I’ve described it.

    • Thanks for your comment, Doug. I’m not a Miles scholar, so I don’t know of much being written about that Central Park show. John S Wilson wrote a short review on Sep 7, 1975 in the NY Times, “Miles Davis Leaves Them Limp, Waiting for More at Park.” But I don’t find anything among the usual suspects—Whitney Balliett in the New Yorker or Down Beat’s “Caught in the Act” section.

  3. I was there too! What I also remember as well as the music was Miles’ silver two seat convertible parked out front. Not sure of the make or model, French or Italian Sports car. Jaguar maybe ? It drew as big a crowd outside as Miles and the band did inside!

    • It was a Ferrari, Steve. According to George Cole, in The Last Miles, Davis bought the car to celebrate his comeback. He made a point of driving it to Kix every night even though he was staying at the hotel across the street on Comm Ave, the one where the Starlight Roof was. “A little showbiz don’t hurt sometimes,” Davis said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *