May 8, 1948: AFM Local 535 Burns the Mortgage
On May 8, 1948, it was party time as members of AFM Local 535 burned the paid-off mortgage on their building at 409 Mass Ave.
An earlier post described the situation with the American Federation of Musicians, and how the segregated locals 9 and 535 were merged into Local 9-535 in 1970. Here’s a bit more on the pre-merger locals.
Both locals wandered a bit before settling into their long-term homes. Local 9 was at 295 Huntington Ave near Gainsborough Street before moving to the Musicians Mutual Relief Society building at 52-56 St Botolph Street in 1938. Local 535 moved from a South End music store to offices on Columbus Avenue above Charlie’s Sandwich Shop, then to Worcester Street.
> Continue Reading